Account Login/Registration

Access VictoriaNow using your Facebook account, or by entering your information below.


Facebook


OR


Register

Privacy Policy

Police say dad 'blew himself up' and took his 2 kids with him in Quebec

Quebec provincial police say a father north of Quebec City killed himself and his two children in a house explosion earlier this week.

Investigators are treating the explosion on Monday morning as a double murder and a suicide, police spokesman Sgt. Hugues Beaulieu said in an interview Wednesday.

"The investigation shows it was a criminal act; the man blew himself up and took his two children with him," Beaulieu said.

<who> Photo credit: Canadian Press

Police said earlier this week at least two people were dead in the explosion in the basement of a home in Saguenay, Que., about 250 kilometres north of Quebec City. But they hadn’t ruled out the presence of another victim.

The next day, police identified the victims as a 39−year−old man and his two sons. A child under the age of three was found at the same time as the father, and the body of a baby under the age of one was discovered late Tuesday in the home.

The father worked in the mining industry and police are speaking to his employer. The Niobec mine confirmed in a statement that one of its employees died in the blast and said it was co−operating with authorities.

Beaulieu said the coroner’s investigation into the deaths is on hold as provincial police conduct a criminal probe.



Visit our Facebook page to comment on this story.

Sign up for local eNews delivered to your inbox by 7 am every day.

Send your comments, news tips, letter to the editor, photos and videos to [email protected].

To report a typo, send an email to [email protected].



Weather


Sat
5℃


Sun
8℃


Mon
8℃


Tue
6℃


Wed
5℃


Thu
6℃

Top Stories

Follow Us

Follow us on Instagram Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook