Fisher-Price has announced a recall of one of its baby sleepers in the U.S. after the product was linked to dozens of deaths.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission said anyone who has the Rock ‘n Play Sleeper should “immediately stop” using it and contact the firm for a refund.
It said that since 2009 – when the product was introduced – more than 30 children have died in the sleepers after rolling over while unrestrained, or under other unspecified circumstances.
Earlier this week, the American Academy of Paediatrics said the sleeper was “deadly”.
Asked last week if Canadians should be concerned about the product's safety, Fisher-Price said: “The Rock ‘n Play Soother is a similar product sold in Canada. However in accordance with Canadian regulations, this product is not to be used for unattended sleep per its instructions.”
In a more general statement, the company said it “continue[s] to stand by the safety of all of our products” but, “given the reported incidents in which the product was used contrary to safety warnings and instructions,” decided to recall the sleeper.
The Rock ‘n Play Soother is a similar product sold in Canada. However in accordance with Canadian regulations, this product is not to be used for unattended sleep per its instructions.— Fisher-Price® (@FisherPrice) April 6, 2019
“With these actions, we want parents around the world to know that safety will always be a cornerstone of our mission, that we are committed to these values, and will continue to prioritize the health, safety and well-being of the infants and preschoolers who utilize our products,” the statement concluded.
The sleeper, which costs between US$40 and US$149, is made in China and imported into the U.S.